Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend of damage control

I’ve been scrambling over the weekend to do some damage control on what I call a typical rookie mistake. You see I had front page search engine ranking for keywords with the first video posted on YouTube. I thought it was easy to do so I decided to tweak on the video. If you are marketing anything online and want to try YouTube then here’s lesson number one for novice YouTubers (yes, that’s me) using the platform as a free form of advertising. If you ever get on coveted page one (or even pg 2) of organic natural search engine results then NEVER EVER replace or remove the YouTube video that got you there. If you want to continue the prime position of first page search results then avoid any temptations to do this, period. Organic natural page one ranking is coveted and has the best potential to drive traffic to your site because people tend to be more interested on first page results, duh. Long story short, I thought I was merely replacing upon removing the video and boy was I wrong (and dumb/stupid/ignorant/unaware/naïve/etc/etc/etc, I conjured up at least 50 more adjectives over the weekend). BUT, as Confucius once said, “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.” So I got busy with 2 more YouTube videos, 2 Squidoo lenses, one paid press release with WebWire ($19), and a free press release with IdeaMarketers. I also tweaked on keywords a bit, removing excess baggage and replacing with just 3 targeted keywords. At the time of this writing, Monday afternoon, I’m happy to report that I’m back on page 2 search results (top of the page), which is a vast improvement from being on page nowhere. There’s a couple other interesting things discovered over the weekend that I’ll save for another blog.

Oh yea, I am changing the titles and format a bit since this is becoming more freestyle and spontaneous than previous posts where I was a bit obsessed with what readers thought of my writings. Well I’m over it now, who cares? Besides, no one is reading my stuff and for all I know it just makes good food for search engine spiders, bots and crawlers, so they say . . .

Cheers,
New Netpreneur

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home